Epilepsy is a neurological complication that causes un-induced recurrent seizures. Seizures are a sudden surge in abnormal electrical activity in the brain. If you have more than one seizure and there is such obvious cause, the doctor will diagnose it to be epilepsy.
Everyone is vulnerable to develop epilepsy but it is more prevalent in young children and older adults and men are more sensitive to the falling of epilepsy than women because of alcohol intake and head trauma.
There are mainly two types of seizures:
- Generalized seizures: It affects your whole brain.
- Focal seizures: These partial seizures only affect a part of your brain.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
- Temporary or irregular confusion
- Staring spell
- Stiff muscles
- Uncontrollable jerking motions in the arms and legs
- Loss of consciousness and awareness
- Psychological symptoms like fear, anxiety and deja vu.
Causes of Epilepsy
- Traumatic brain injury or head trauma
- Brain scarring post brain injury (post-traumatic epilepsy)
- Serious illness in the form of very high fever
- Stroke causing nearly half of cases in older adults without any identifiable cause
- Lack of oxygen supply to the brain
- Tumour in brain or cyst
- Dementia, including Alzheimer disease
- Maternal use of some drugs and prenatal injury
- Brain malformation or lack of oxygen supply at birth
- Infectious conditions such as HIV, AIDS and meningitis
- Genetic disorders or family history of neurological diseases
- Medicines like anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs)
- Surgery performed to remove the tine portion of the brain that causes the seizures.
- A procedure of putting a small electrical device in the body to control seizures.
- Special diet called ketogenic diet helps in controlling the seizures.
NEUMED Center for Neurology, Bhubaneswar is one of the best neurology hospitals in Odisha, specializing in providing the best Epilepsy treatments guided by renowned Neurologist Dr. Akhila Kumar Panda.